The semiconductor market
is one of the oldest and highest revenue generating markets in the world today. The market is worth more than 300 billion dollars and will continue to grow till well beyond the forecast period. This is easy to understand since every invention or creation in the manufacturing, industrial healthcare industry and so on has always relied on the innovations that have taken place in the semiconductor industry. The industry has always worked with silicon as the base material for all semiconductor components. For the longest time, silicon has proven to be a useful material for the semiconductor market, however, with new semiconductor processes and demand for more efficient semiconductor processes, there has been a need for another substrate material which could address the demand from the market. Silicon on insulator is now being used in the semiconductor industry as it provides a number of technical benefits to device manufacturers operating in the market.
The companies operating in this market will be looking at not just being able to provide silicon on insulator for the applications for which silicon is used for today already, but will be looking at new and upcoming applications in order to penetrate the market further.
The APAC region will be the leading contributor to this market till well beyond the forecast period although R&D investment is expected to come from all over the world as it is not just the semiconductor companies which are interested in the technology but the device manufacturers as well. The Silicon on insulator Market can be segmented as
Following are just a few of the companies that are operating in the Silicon on insulator market.
- on the basis of technology
- Thick-Film SOI Wafer, Thin-Film SOI Wafer Market, Bond and Etch-Back SOI, Epitaxial Layer Transfer, Silicon-on-Sapphire, Separation By Implantation of Oxygen and Smart Cut
- on the basis of product
- Spot Size Convertor, RF SOI, RF Circuit , Silicon-on-Insulator Transistor , Mems, Image Sensor, Memory Device and others
- on the basis of application
- Automotive, Photonics, Computing Devices and Others
- By Geography
- North America, South America, APAC, Europe, Middle East and Africa
- Applied Materials Inc.,
- ARM Holdings PLC.,
- Freescale Semiconductor Inc.,
- Global foundries
- Sun Edison