Since the inception of flexible films, the packaging industry has been disrupted towards acquiring astonishing potential. Flexible packaging owing to its peculiarities such as lightweight, flexibility, easy to dispose, ease of mobility, minimal space requirement, and resealing has been very profitably capitalizing upon relentlessly mounting population and globally innovating consumption trends. Owing to such developments and economical traits, the flexible packaging market has found a tremendous scope of application in F&B, domestic consumables, pharmaceuticals, and other sectors in which extended shelf life of products is mandatory. Abundant potential has driven this arcade towards a staggering market size of $220 billion as of 2018. Flexible packaging market taking the role of packaging way beyond just accommodating and conserving products, has been progressing at a global compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.7% during the forecast period of 2019 - 2025.
Flexible package or containers are made up of paper, plastic film, aluminum foil or a combination of these. The billion-dollar packaging industry is in a continuous quest to divert its operations from being centered towards wood, metal and glass materials towards plastic, flexible foam, laminated paper and paperboard. Owing to the flexibility and 'lightweighting' stride, implementation of plastics in the flexible packaging market is inevitable. Hence, after further analysis of the material type segment, plastic is reckoned to be the leading material type progressing with an application CAGR of 4.0% going through 2025. As per the Flexible Packaging Association, out of all the materials employed by the U.S packaging industry in 2018, a major 45% share was encapsulated by films such as polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, polyester and nylon. Plastics dominate the flexible packaging industry, as plastic provides aesthetic feasibility, cost-effectiveness and it is sturdy.
After an acute scrutiny of the regional flexible packaging market share, APAC is estimated to be the dominant terrain globally in terms of generating demand. This region encapsulating developing India and an impeccable manufacturing hub of China accounts for a substantial 43% of global flexible packaging market share. Emerging Indian middle class and the innovating organized retail sector coupled with blooming e-commerce are the major growth factors behind APAC's supremacy. As per the IBEF, Indian food and grocery market is among the sixth largest in the world, with 70% of the total sales generated from retail counters. Also, India being the leading milk producing nation is in consistent demand for flexible packaging solution such as flexible pouches and tetra packs.
· Ecological concerns related to the application of plastic is a major challenge faced by the flexible packaging market. But some of the companies have been capitalizing over this and assisting to the trend of applying bio-degradable plastics in their packaging operations. A classic example can be derived from the global carbonated beverages leader, PepsiCo. In merger with leading universities, governments and innovators, PepsiCo is in quest for developing bio-degradable film resins that meet the sustainable flexible packaging needs by 2025.
· E-commerce with efficient logistics operation as its backbone, is disrupting the flexible packaging market. Faster delivery of products is a major trend in the virtual retailing sector, thus flexible packaging is being highly employed by this blooming arcade for ease and efficiency during logistic operations.
· Plastic being a prominent material in flexible packaging industry is creating a lot of scope for 'story-telling', as it can be used a medium for printing visuals and conveying an appeal towards customer over packaging.
Some of the key players operating in the flexible packaging market are Sonoco Products Germany, Sealed Air Corporation, Ampac Holdings, LLC., Mondi PLc., Wipak Group, Flextrus AB, and American Packaging.
Sonoco recorded a net sales of 2.36 billion dollars in 2018 via consumer food packaging segment. Application of plastics in flexible packaging integrates the application of visuals and graphical contents. This trend of displays and packaging generated for Senoco, a net sales of $ 592 million in 2018.
The base year of the study is 2018, with forecast done up to 2025. The study presents a thorough analysis of the competitive landscape, taking into account the market shares of the leading companies. It also provides information on unit shipments. These provide the key market participants with the necessary business intelligence and help them understand the future of the flexible packaging market. The assessment includes the forecast, an overview of the competitive structure, the market shares of the competitors, as well as the market trends, market demands, market drivers, market challenges, and product analysis. The market drivers and restraints have been assessed to fathom their impact over the forecast period. This report further identifies the key opportunities for growth while also detailing the key challenges and possible threats. The key areas of focus include the various materials in the flexible packaging market and their specific advantages.
By Material: Polypropylene, Polyethylene, Aluminium, Paper, Cellulosic, Others
By Industry: Food & Beverage, Personal Care, Pharmaceuticals & Others
The Flexible Packaging Market report also analyzes the major geographic regions for the market as well as the major countries for the market in these regions. The regions and countries covered in the study include:
• North America: The U.S., Canada, Mexico
• South America: Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica
• Europe: The U.K., Germany, Italy, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark
• APAC: China, Japan, Australia, South Korea, India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong
• Middle East and Africa: Israel, South Africa, Saudi Arabia
1. Is the market for the flexible packaging growing? How long will it continue to grow and at what rate?
2. Which type of systems presents the major growth opportunities?
3. Is there a possibility for change in the market structure over time?
4. Are additional developments needed for the existing product or services offerings or do the existing products meet the customer demands?
5. Do the key vendors look for partnerships to expand their businesses with respect to geography or product?
6. What are the short-term, long-term, and medium-term growth drivers for the market?
7. What are the short-term, medium-term, and long-term challenges for the market?
8. What are the short-term, medium-term, and long-term opportunities for the market
9. Who are the top players/companies of the market?
10. What are the recent innovations in the market?
11. How many patents have been filed by the leading players?
12. What are the types of patents filed by the leading players?
13. What is our Vision 2030 for flexible packaging Market?
• Give a deep-dive analysis of the key operational strategies with focus on the corporate structure, R&D strategies, localization strategies, production capabilities, and sales performance of various companies
• Provide an overview of the product portfolio, including product planning, development, and positioning
• Discuss the role of technology companies in partnerships
• Explore the regional sales activities
• Analyze the market size and giving the forecast for current and future flexible packaging during the forecast 2019–2025
• Analyze the competitive factors, competitors’ market shares, product capabilities, and supply chain structures.