The global food enzymes Market is estimated to be valued at $1,519.0m in 2017 and is poised to exhibit a growth of 5.8% CAGR through 2023. The market for food enzymes is witnessing a substantial growth due to shift in consumer tastes and preferences associated with rising demand for enhanced processed food and products with high nutrition value.
What is an enzyme ?
Enzymes are functional catalytic proteins and are present in living organisms such as plants, animals, and micro-organisms. These enzymes functions as catalysts for the thousands of chemical reactions that takes place in all living cells. The usage of enzymes usually results in many benefits that cannot be acquired with conventional chemical treatment. These often include higher product quality and lower manufacturing cost, and less waste and reduced energy consumption. Enzymes accelerate chemical reactions selectively as part of essential life processes such as respiration, digestion, metabolic rate, and tissue maintenance. Food enzymes are classified as carbohydrates, proteases, lipases, and others. Food enzymes provide potential for many stimulating applications for enhancement of foods. These food enzymes are majorly used in bakeries, confectionaries, brewing and dairy industries.
What are the major applications of Food enzymes ?
The various end users assessed include bakery, dairy products, beverages, meat products, confectionaries and others. In dairy products, proteases are added to milk for cheese making in order to stabilize micelle formation preventing coagulation. Cow milk contains whey proteins such as lacto globulin and lactalbumin, changing the natural qualities of these whey proteins by using proteases would result in creamier yogurt product. Lipases are used in breaking down of fats in milk and provide desired flavors to cheese.
Food enzymes are used in manufacturing process of various types of beverages such as alcoholic, non-alcoholic, ready to drink coffee & tea, carbonated drinks, juices and others. Enzymes acts as catalysts and are natural proteins for biochemical reactions which offer a wide range of quality improvements in bakery products such as enhanced crumb structure of bread and maintain freshness in baked goods.
Market Research and Market Trends of Food enzymes
- Dough conditioners such as DATEM, SSL and ADA that contain a variety of ingredients including emulsifiers, oxidizing and reducing agents. Enzymes are now being used instead of dough conditioners for improving dough machinability and final bread quality in terms of loaf volume, crumb structure, crumb softness and resilience. With the increasing awareness about chemicals conditioners in consumers the replacement of dough conditioners with enzymes also increased and this trend is expected to continue during the forecast period.
- Increasing use of enzymes for better digestive functioning in recent years for overall wellbeing has increased. Thera-Blend process for manufacturing multi pH has been developed by Theramedix BioSET which combines various strains of the major enzyme groups to work across the range of pH levels. This allows digestive enzyme formulations to be effective in all parts of the digestive tract. Health professionals from various methods of training have been using these multi pH enzymes alongside probiotics, and other dietary supplements to help their clients achieve an optimal level of health.
- The issue of genetic engineering may play a critical role in providing future innovation to the supplement industry. Enzymes, as proteins, are not genetically engineered as their host organism but the industry is expected to shift towards genetically synthesized enzymes .The tools available from the biotechnology studies can have a tremendous impact on cost, specificity of an enzyme and manufacturing efficiency in future.
- Research is being done in finding the new applications of existing enzymes for specific nutritional benefits. A lipase has been shown to reduce serum triglycerides in humans and is under further investigation, as mentioned by U.S Patent 9,555,083. Many of the nutritional deficiency issues could be addressed with enzymes.
Who are the Major Players in Food enzymes Market ?
The companies referred in the market research report include the Royal DSM N.V., EI DuPont DE Nemours & Co, Novozymes A/S, Biocatalyst limited, AB enzymes GMBH, Kerry group PLC and others.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.