As the name suggests, a proximity sensor
is used to detect the presence of objects at a certain distance without the need for any kind of physical contact. The fact that no physical contact is required results in higher durability of these kinds of sensors. Technology advances have aided in miniaturization and proximity sensors can now be integrated into small chips and be used for a plethora of applications. Main customers for proximity sensors are original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). The automotive segment represents the most lucrative market for proximity sensors. The development of self-driving cars, for example, will result in a huge boost for proximity sensors owing to the need to be able to detect the proximity of objects in relation to the vehicle.The Proximity Sensor Market can be segmented as
- on the basis of type
- Capacitive, Inductive, Ultrasonic, Magnetic, LVDT, Photoelectric and Others
- In terms of products
- Parking Sensors, Assembly Lines, Roller Coasters, Anti-Aircraft Warfare, Conveyor Systems, Vibration Monitoring, Mobile Devices and Others
The automotive industry accounts for the largest share of the proximity sensor market and is expected to do so till the end of the forecast period considered in this report. Increasing adoption of factory and industrial automation is also driving the growth of this market.
- In terms of applications
- Automotive, Aerospace and Defense, Pharmaceutical, Industrial, Building Automation, Food and Beverage, Consumer Electronics and Others
North America accounted for the largest share of this market owing to the slowly recovering automotive industry in the region. APAC is expected to exhibit the highest growth rate till the end of the forecast period.
- By Geography
- North America, South America, APAC, Europe, Middle East and Africa
The proximity sensor market is highly competitive with a number of players present. Technological advancements stemming from intensive R&D efforts by the major players in this market are bringing down prices as well. However, since OEMs prefer to stick to their regular brands of proximity sensors, it is difficult for new entrants to penetrate this market.
Sample Companies profiled in this Report are:
- Pepperl+Fuchs GmbH
- Honeywell International Inc.,
- Omron Corporation
- Schneider Electric
- Rockwell Automation, Inc.,