Negative Side Effects Associated with Drugs will Spur the Growth of Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation Market to $4.13 Bn by 2021
Browse 19 Market Tables, 27 figures spread through 180 Pages and an in-depth TOC on “Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation Market”
Hyaluronic Acid is a sugar molecule which is present in the human body and found in connective tissues such as synovial fluid, vitreous humor of eye and umbilical cord. Viscosupplementation is a procedure in which a thick fluid called hyaluronic acid is injected into the knee joint. Earlier, hyaluronic acid was used extensively while performing eye surgery. Today, viscosupplementation has become an integral part of treating osteoarthritis and hyaluronic acid is the most widely used element. Osteoarthritis is the most widespread type of arthritis with a prevalence rate of 9.6% in males and 18% in females in the geriatric population segment.
According to recent report by IndustryARC, the Global Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation Market will grow at CAGR of 8.4% and reach $4.13 billion by 2021. The rise in ‘osteoarthritic population’ along with increasing awareness across the globe is propelling the market for hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation. Knee Osteoarthritis treatment comprises nearly 60% of total market revenue in 2015 and is projected to grow to $2.3 billion in 2021 with an estimated CAGR 7.8%.
Serious Implications associated with the use of NSAID’s and Corticosteroids will make a positive impact on the market.
Hyaluronic Acid Viscosupplementation has gained prominence in the past decade and a significant part of its success lies in the decrease in demand for NSAID’s (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). Majority of osteoarthritis patients use NSAID’s as a part of the treatment process. However, NSAID’s have serious side effects associated with them. It can lead to high blood pressure, kidney problems, stomach ulcers and heart stroke. Another issue associated with the use of NSAID’s is the FDA approval. Many NSAID’s are released into the market without regulatory approval. Such a situation adds to the risk associated with the use of it.
Corticosteroids are steroid hormones that are known to provide relief from Osteoarthritis. It can be taken orally or through an injection into the target. Corticosteroids are mostly used to heal the inflammation and the associated pain. Corticosteroids are known to have side effects such as glaucoma, psychological effects, cataract and high blood pressure. IndustryARC estimates the concerns regarding usage of corticosteroids and NSAIDs will hence contribute to the growth of Hyaluranoic acid as a safer alternative.
The key players involved in hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation market are:
- Fidia Pharma USA
- Zimmer Holdings Inc.
- Chugai Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Sanofi Aventis LLC
- Mylan and others.
The top 5 players occupy more than 70% of the market share currently and the segment is consolidated.
The market has been analysed based on the sessions taken or course of treatment such as: Single or Multiple injections. Based on anatomy for which treatment is given, the market has been analyzed as:
- Knee Osteoarthritis treatment
- Hip Osteoarthritis treatment
- Ankle Osteoarthritis treatment
- Shoulder Osteoarthritis treatment
Multiple Injection Therapy is the most preferred form of viscosupplementation due to affordable cost and wide product portfolio for the patient. The report also provides in-depth analysis on the key geographic regions and countries in North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and so on.
Key Takeaways of Global Study 2016:
- Americas dominated the market in 2015, and is projected to grow at a rate of 7.8% CAGR during the forecast period
- In 2015, knee osteoarthritis constituted the highest demand for hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation across countries such as U.S., Japan and Germany.
- New Product Launches and Geographic Expansion are the key strategies for sustaining and flourishing in the market.
- The market dynamics will shift towards single injection therapy with introduction of new products such as Monovisc and with the positive change in pricing of the single injection.
- The hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation market will witness significant growth at the back of increasing geriatric population, strong reimbursement scenario and high incidence of osteoarthritis.
- Specialty Drug Distribution Market Analysis: By Drug Type (Oncology, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hemophilia); By Distribution (Retail, Home Health, Clinics, Pharmacies) - Forecast (2015 - 2020) http://industryarc.com/Report/7360/Specialty-Drug-Distribution-Market-Research-Report.html
- Foot Orthotic Insoles Market Analysis: By Type (Custom, Prefabricated); By End User (Sports (Running, Court); Medical (Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Plantar Fasciitis, Metatarsalgia, Obesity); Comfort) -With Forecast (2015 - 2020) http://industryarc.com/Report/7488/foot-orthotic-insoles-market.html