Wireless Radio Access Network (RAN) is a part of mobile telecommunication system. It is wireless network infrastructure associated with macro cell RAN used for sharing cell sites, transport infrastructure, radio spectrum, and baseband processing resources. Radio and network as a service and baseband processing on the cloud are innovations to increase the data usage efficiency. It lays between devices such as mobile phone, computer and remotely controlled machine and provides connection with its core network. Wireless Ran provides connectivity between core network and the user equipment. It is a new wireless concept which provides flexibility, scalability and energy saving. It is advantageous for deploying large networks of small-base stations and is beneficial for operators in reducing maintenance cost and upgrading their networks.
What is Wireless RAN?
Radio Access Network is abbreviated as RAN. It allows radio sites to provide radio access and coordinate management of resources across the radio sites. A device is connected wirelessly to the core network, the RAN transmits its signal to various wireless endpoints, and the signal propagates with traffic of other networks. The RAN controller regulates the signal flow at the nodes that are connected to it. The network controller is applied for radio resource management, mobility management, and data encryption. It connects to the circuit-switched core network and the packet-switched core network, depending on the type of RAN.
Radio access networks are broadly classified into two types i.e. Generic Radio Access Network and GSM Edge Radio Access Network. GRAN uses base transmission stations and controllers to manage radio links for circuit-switched and packet-switched core networks. GERAN supports real-time packet data. Two other categories of radio access networks are UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access Network (UTRAN), which supports both circuit-switched and packet-switched services; and Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access Network (E-UTRAN), which focuses only on packet-switched services. E-UTRAN also provides high data rates and low latency.
What are the major applications for Wireless RAN?
Traditional Radio Access Networks (TRAN) is one of the type of Radio access network that has been in use since the origination of cellular technology. It comprises the Base Station (BS) that makes the connections to sector antennas. These antennas cover a small region depend upon their capacity and can act as a transceiver of information within this small region only. But nowadays every entity has different range needs and also variable data access speed requirements, in implementation of solution for providing such services to end users such as defense, aerospace, data centers, industries, health service providers and many more sectors the Wireless RAN infrastructure is needed.
RAN technology has aided the advent and success of 4G data revolution and is expected to be utilized in the wide range coverage of 5G networks as well. The telecom companies are primarily using the RAN equipment to deploy their services in a much effective and efficient manner.
Market Research and Market Trends of Wireless RAN Ecosystem
- RAN architectures lately are being used particularly in digitally transformed networks they separate the user plane from the control plane into different network elements. In this algorithm, the RAN controller can exchange user data messages through a software-defined networking switch, and a second set with base stations via a second control-based interface.
- In RAN technology, the separation of control plane and data plane will be a vital aspect of the flexible 5G radio access network, as it aligns with SDN and network functions virtualization (NFV) techniques such as service chaining and network slicing.
- Radio Access Network Evolution towards 5G technology has led to upsurge in the number of patents. Due to the 4g technology becoming popular there is stringent competition amongst firms and moreover their healthy competition has now turned into a technology- war like situation.
- The market is currently going through data revolution. With the growing implementation and development of technologies such as cloud computing and AI, the W-RAN usage is also intended to grow. The modern RAN architecture should offer high-speed data connectivity to facilitate these technologies.
- The carrier-grade Ethernet-based virtualized RAN (vRAN) is an innovative solution that implements LTE-Advanced features and brings intelligence to the edge of the network for better utilization of the radio resource and to enhance quality of experience for the users, it features UL-CoMP which provides significant improvement in uplink performance; and Inter-site Carrier Aggregation, which provides significantly higher throughput and performance gains by reducing handover signaling.
- SDR (Software defined radio) technology has recently penetrated into mobile systems of new generation as well as increasing throughput demands in radio access network (RAN) are main reasons for development of the technology in radio access network world, better known as Cloud-Radio Access Network (C-RAN). This innovative architecture which is popular among telecom companies in China should significantly decrease business costs of Telecom companies.
Who are the Major Players in Wireless RAN market?
The players profiled in the report include Intel Corporation, Huawei, Ericsson, Nokia Siemens network, Samsung, D-Link, Alcatel-Lucent, Asus, TP- Link, Netgear.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.