The global Occupant Sensing System Market is estimated to surpass $3.2 billion by 2023 growing at CAGR 9.7% during 2018 to 2023 majorly driven by the increasing stringency of traffic regulations to reduce the number of road accidents. The growing demand for passenger vehicles with advanced safety systems is also poised to assist the occupant sensing system market growth during 2018-2023.
What is Occupant Sensing System?
Occupant Sensing System is an advanced safety system incorporated in a vehicle to detect the presence of the driver or passenger or both along with the presence of child. The system activates the air bags based on the sitting arrangement of the passengers and also controls the deployment of the air bags at full or partial speed in an event of collision, depending on the presence of adult or child whoever is occupying the seat. Air bags though being a safety supplement to protect the passenger or driver during collision, can cause serious injury to child or grown up adults if deployed at full speed during a minor collision. Further, in cases of presence of rear facing seating as well, the deployment of airbag can severely injure the child and must be turned off to avoid such situation. Occupant sensing systems automatically turns on or off the air bag systems and even controls the rate of inflation based on the occupant weight and orientation of seating.
This report incorporates an in-depth assessment of Occupant Sensing System market by vehicle type, mount location and geography. By vehicle type the market has been further segmented by passenger cars, light commercial vehicles and heavy commercial vehicles. By the mount location, the report includes a study of passenger side and driver side OSS.
Where are Occupant Sensing System Installed?
Occupant sensing system are installed in various types of vehicles including passenger cars, light commercial vehicles and heavy commercial vehicles. Occupant sensing system was first launched for passenger vehicles and this market is now in the early growth phase. Further, for light and heavy commercial vehicle sector the occupant sensing systems have recently started its penetration and the market is under the introductory phase. With the increasing stringency on vehicular safety the OSS market is set to witness a healthy growth in future with passenger vehicles OSS market to grow at the highest rate during 2018-2023.
OSS systems are mounted on the passenger side and driver side based on the level of safety designed for the particular vehicle model. These systems are either offered as an OEM built in feature or can be integrated as an add-on safety as well. Passenger side OSS are installed in the front and back passenger seats. These systems detect the occupant’s parameters such as presence, weight, rear or front facing seat, and signal the electronic control unit for modulation on the deployment speed, bag size and suppression.
Market Research and Market Trends of Occupant Sensing System Ecosystem
- Delphi Automotive plc, recently signed a supply agreement with Great Wall Motor Co., a Chinese automaker for supplying various safety systems such as scanners, radar, occupant sensing system and so on for its latest SUV models
- BeBop Sensor, Inc. a U.S. based startup and a leader in smart fabric sensor technology, recently developed high resolution sensing system for capturing more granular level seating data for next generation occupant classification system.
- Guardian Optical Technologies, a Israel based startup founded in 2014, is developing an optical sensing system with the coalescence of machine vision systems such as motion analysis, 2D and 3D along with artificial intelligence. The system is a one stop solution for multi features such as intruder alert, seatbelt reminder, basic driver monitoring, forgotten infant or pet reminder and airbag suppression system for empty seats.
- In 2017, Guardian Optical Technologies received $5.1m in series A funding from Mirai Creation Fund and Maniv Mobility. In July, 2018, it won funding of $3.1m from Translink Capital, Mirai Creation Fund and Goldbell Investments. The company aims to develop AI based optical monitoring platform for increasing passenger safety.
- LeddarTech, Inc. a leader in automotive LIDAR technology, developed an in-cabin occupant sensing system based on optical time-of-flight technology which can replace multiple conventional sensors with one Leddar sensor. The system is also capable for gesture recognition and touch less controls without the requirement for any other additional components with uncompromised performance in any l conditions.
Who are the Major Players?
The companies referred to in the report includes Aptiv Plc (Ireland), Calsonic Kansei Corp. (Japan), Nidec-Elesys Corp (Japan), IEE S.A. (Luxemborg), Robert Bosch GmbH (Germany) and so on.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2023.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.