Astaxanthin is a product high value in the carotenoid market. Natural astaxanthin is not currently able to compete with market price synthetic astaxanthin, despite of improvement in techniques of production. Increasing the production capacity of the natural product obtained from Phaffia rhodizyma or Haematococcus pluvialis is competitive in relations of market price. Astaxathin is used for producing antiageing cream, and increasing population is upsurged the demand for anti-ageing cream and also increased antioxidant product for aesthetic appeal.
Nutraceutical is expected to attain fastest growth over the forecast period of all other application for this market. Due to consumer health benefits and nutrition requirements, demand in nutraceutical is expected to be increasing. It can be defined as a potential anti-oxidant as compared to lutein, lycopene and beta carotene. Astaxanthin market also adopted some advance technology for production natural astaxanthin such as microalgae cultivation, harvesting, extraction and drying which expected to accelerate the market growth. Its effect for neutralizing free radical has proven to be beneficial in many applications. It offers several health benefits such as cardiovascular disease, immune system boost, nervous system improvement and cataract prevention. The global Astaxanthin market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8 during forecast period i.e. 2018 to 2023.
What is Astaxanthin?
Astaxanthin which is found in various sea-foods is a naturally occurring red-pink carotenoid pigment. It is also referred to as the ‘king’ of the carotenoids. Astaxanthin is kind of metabolites of canthaxanthin, which is comprised of hydroxyl and ketone functional groups. Astaxanthin has been considered as the powerful antioxidants that can be found in nature. It has some chemical differences but has structural similarity to beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A) which may be safer. Astaxanthin is used as a pigment for trout, salmons, and shrimps in aquaculture industry. Astaxathin is also comprised of oxidizing agent; natural astaxathin oxidized faster than any other synthetic pigment.
Astaxanthin never turns into a pro-oxidant in the body hence unlike some other types of antioxidants it never causes harmful oxidation. The pigment astaxanthin can also be found in the feathers of flamingos and quails in certain marine plants and animals and there are some techniques for artificial synthesis.
What are the major applications for Astaxanthin?
Astaxanthin is primarily consumed in human diet and consequently is utilized as animal feed and also as a pigmentation source for salmon, shrimp and trout, and is also used in poultry applications. Its consumption is known to improve many blood parameters that could be beneficial to heart disease. It can decrease the oxidation of LDL cholesterol and prevent it from becoming artherogenic (artery clogging) by the consumption of about doses of 6-8mg daily. It can help to increase general blood flow and reduce blood sugar in diabetics and blood pressure in patients. Astaxanthin is a powerful anti-inflammatory substance and have plenty of anti-oxidant capabilities than vitamin A itself. It is also in demand in market for its water soluble form. For these properties of Axtaxanthin expected to expand the market size during the forecast period.
It has been used in nutraceuticals manufacturing which are being preferred by consumers due to ease of consumption. It is also available as oil, gels, tablets etc. and the trend of increasing preference for organic cosmetics has led its infusion into cosmetic products too and this expected to contribute to the market share for Astaxanthin market during the forecast period.
Market Research and Market Trends of Astaxanthin Ecosystem
- BGG is a leader in Astaxanthin production and technology worldwide. AlgaeHealth is subordinate which utilizes BGG’s facilities and scientists as well as its worldwide Sales Team. It supports second largest capacity in the world for the production of Natural Astaxanthin from microalgae. BGG has aimed to impart the absolute highest quality algae-based ingredients at an appreciative price. It features products which are unmatched in terms of purity, potency and overall quality. Their product range of BGG is consisted of the world’s first Certified Organic Haematococcus pluvialis microalgae powder. The company has been predicted to be the world’s largest producer of Natural Astaxanthin by the year 2020. Nutraceutical ingredients from algae are promptly evolving into an important segment of the supplement industry.
- Products with improved bioavailability and potency will be the need of the future. Sphera which has been founded by 3 scientists focuses on the incorporation of astaxanthin pigments and other microalgae ingredients into new food and beverage categories. They try to add significant value to the existing food market. Sphera recently partnered with Algatechnologiesw to produce new functional ingredient formats using Sphera’s proprietary encapsulation technology to aid in the development of innovative delivery formats of microalgae-derived ingredients.
- Red yeast, Xanthophyllomyces dendrorhous can be defined as the only yeast which is primarily helps in the production of astaxanthin. Multiple gene expression system in X. dendrorhous has been developed by researchers recently which improved the mevalonate synthetic pathway which resulted in significant upsurge in astaxanthin production. This method is estimated to have the prospective for improving industrial production of various isoprenoids in X. dendrorhous. Various other efforts are concomitantly being made throughout the globe to enhance the production process of natural as well as synthetic astaxanthin.
Who are the Major Players in Astaxanthin market?
The players profiled in the report include Cape Carotene, NVI Algae Products, AstaReal, Cyanotech Corporation, KeyNatura, Beijing Gingko Group, Algae Health, ALGAEN CORPORATION, AHD International, VIDYA EUROPE SAS, TOYOND INDUSTRY LIMITED
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.