1. Astaxanthin- Market Overview
2. Executive Summary
3. Astaxanthin - Market Landscape
3.1. Market Share Analysis
3.2. Comparative Analysis
3.2.1. Product Benchmarking
3.2.2. End User Profiling
3.2.3. Top 5 Financials Analysis
4. Astaxanthin- Market Forces
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Constraints
4.3. Market Challenges
4.4. Attractiveness of the Astaxanthin market
4.4.1. Power of Suppliers
4.4.2. Power of Customers
4.4.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4. Threat of Substitution
4.4.5. Degree of Competition
5. Astaxanthin market- Strategic Analysis
5.1. Value Chain Analysis
5.2. Pricing Analysis
5.3. Opportunities Analysis
5.4. Product/Market Life Cycle Analysis
5.5. Suppliers and Distributors
6. Astaxanthin market- By Source
6.1. Natural production
6.1.1. Algae and Microalgae
6.1.2. Sea Urchin gonads
6.1.3. Red-pink seafood and crustaceans
6.1.5. Krill/ shrimp
6.2. Synthetic production (Bacteria)
7. Astaxanthin market- By Production Mechanism
7.2. Microalgae Cultivation
7.5. Chemical Synthesis
8. Astaxanthin market- By Product Type
8.2. Dried algae meal/biomass
8.3. Astaxanthin Oil
8.5. Astaxanthin Tablets
8.6. Astaxanthin Powder
8.7. Carotenoid Complexes
8.8. Synthetic Astaxanthin
9. Astaxanthin market- By Application
9.1. Dietary supplement
9.3. Animal feed and aquaculture
10. Global Astaxanthin Market - By Geography
10.1. North America
10.2. South America
10.2.7. Costa Rica
10.4.4. South Korea
10.4.8. Hong Kong
10.5. Middle East& Africa
11. Market Entropy
11.1. New Product Launches
11.2. M&As, Collaborations, JVs, Partnership
12. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials, SWOT Analysis, Developments, Product Portfolio)
12.1. Cape Carotene
12.2. NVI Algae Products
12.4. Cyanotech Corporation
12.6. Beijing Gingko Group
12.7. Algae Health
12.8. ALGAEN CORPORATION
12.9. AHD International
12.10. VIDYA EUROPE SAS
*More than 10 Companies are profiled in this Research Report*
"*Financials would be provided on a best efforts basis for private companies"
13.3. Research Methodology
13.5. Compilation of Expert Insights
Astaxanthin is a product high value in the carotenoid market. Natural astaxanthin is not currently able to compete with market price synthetic astaxanthin, despite of improvement in techniques of production. Upon increasing the production capacity of the natural product derived from Phaffia rhodizyma or Haematococcus pluvialis is competitive in terms of market price.
Nutraceutical is expected to attain fastest growth over the forecast period of all other application for this market. Due to consumer health benefits and nutrition requirements, demand in nutraceutical is expected to be increasing. It is considered as a powerful anti-oxidant as compared to beta carotene, lutein and lycopne. Its effect for neutralizing free radical has proven to be beneficial in many applications. It provides numerous health benefits which include nervous system improvement, immune system boost, cardiovascular disease and cataract prevention. The global Astaxanthin market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8 during forecast period i.e. 2018 to 2023.
What is Astaxanthin?
Astaxanthin which is found in various sea-foods is a naturally occurring red-pink carotenoid pigment. It is also referred to as the ‘king’ of the carotenoids. Astaxanthin has been recognized as one of the most powerful antioxidants found in nature. It has some chemical differences but has structural similarity to beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A) which may be safer.
Astaxanthin never becomes a pro-oxidant in the body so it can never cause harmful oxidation unlike some other types of antioxidants which give it a special significance. The pigment astaxanthin can be also found in the feathers of flamingos and quails in certain marine plants and animals and there are some techniques for artificial synthesis.
What are the major applications for Astaxanthin?
Astaxanthin is primarily consumed in human diet and consequently is also used as animal feed and also as a pigmentation source for salmon, shrimp and trout, and is also used in poultry applications. Its consumption is known to improve many blood parameters that could be beneficial to heart disease. It can decrease the oxidation of LDL cholesterol and prevent it from becoming artherogenic (artery clogging) by the consumption of about doses of 6-8mg daily. It can help to increase general blood flow and reduce blood sugar in diabetics and blood pressure in patients. Moreover, it is also a potent anti-inflammatory and has more anti-oxidant capabilities than vitamin A itself.
It has been used in nutraceuticals manufacturing which are being preferred by consumers due to ease of consumption. It is also available as oil, gels, tablets etc. and the trend of increasing preference for organic cosmetics has led its infusion into cosmetic products too.
Market Research and Market Trends of Astaxanthin Ecosystem
- BGG is a leader in Astaxanthin production and technology worldwide. AlgaeHealth is the subsidiary which utilizes BGG’s quality facilities and scientists as well as its worldwide Sales Team. It supports second largest capacity in the world for the production of Natural Astaxanthin from microalgae. BGG has the goal to provide the absolute highest quality algae-based ingredients at favorable pricing,. It features products which are unmatched in terms of purity, potency and overall quality. Their product range includes the world’s first Certified Organic Haematococcus pluvialis microalgae powder. The company has intended to become the world’s largest Natural Astaxanthin producer by the year 2020 nutraceutical ingredients from algae believes are believed to be rapidly developing into a large segment of the supplement industry according to the leadership of BGG.
- Products with improved bioavailability and potency will be the need of the future. Sphera which has been founded by 3 scientists focuses on the incorporation of astaxanthin pigments and other microalgae ingredients into new food and beverage categories. They try to add significant value to the existing food market. Sphera recently partnered with Algatechnologiesw to produce new functional ingredient formats using Sphera’s proprietary encapsulation technology to aid in the development of innovative delivery formats of microalgae-derived ingredients.
- Red yeast, Xanthophyllomyces dendrorhous is the only yeast yet known which is used for the production of astaxanthin. Recently, a multiple gene expression system in X. dendrorhous was developed by researchers that enhanced the mevalonate synthetic pathway which led to significant increase in astaxanthin production. This method is expected to have the potential for improving industrial production of various isoprenoids in X. dendrorhous. It is efficient for deleting diploid genes. Various other efforts are concomitantly being made throughout the globe to enhance the production process of natural as well as synthetic astaxanthin.
Who are the Major Players in Astaxanthin market?
The players profiled in the report include Cape Carotene, NVI Algae Products, AstaReal, Cyanotech Corporation, KeyNatura, Beijing Gingko Group, Algae Health, ALGAEN CORPORATION, AHD International, VIDYA EUROPE SAS, TOYOND INDUSTRY LIMITED
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.