Japan has the second largest cosmetics market in the world competing with the United States at number one. EU-Japan Center for Industrial Cooperation conducted a study which revealed that skincare and hair care products make up more than two-thirds of the entire Japanese cosmetics industry. Japanese beauty products focus on utilizing the benefits of simple yet powerful ingredients. The range extends from their face washes to their hair care products which are used by professionals to provide treatment and advanced therapies.
Japanese beauty seems to center around the concept “less is more.” The products are traditionally simple, toxin-free, and made from natural ingredients such as rice bran, different types of seaweed, camellia oil, Adzuki beans, and marine clay. The growing environmental pollution has led to an increase in hair problem cases all over the world which has been a key driver for providing preventive as well as curative solutions for hair care.
In 2017, the Japanese Professional Hair care market was valued at $1.2 billion and the market is further expected to grow at a CAGR of 0.6% during the forecast period 2018 to 2023. The coloring products were highest on growth side which can be accounting to increasing trend of hair coloring in youth. Another reason for high demand of coloring products is old population which has been on high rise in Japan as well as across the globe which need aids for coloring the hair to look young.
What are Japan Professional Hair care Products?
Japan has traditionally been a country where individuals prefer to take hair and skin care very seriously. The hair care products which are to be used by professionals are chemical based generally but Japanese have been developing these solutions by using oils and extracts from botanical ingredients which have near zero side effects and are effective also. Japan is the global leader in technology related to electronics and high end products but hair care has been areas of focus in Japanese markets as young and old population have developed specific preferences for hair care products.
What are the major applications for Japan Professional Hair care Products?
Japanese Hair care Products are applied to provide natural solutions for common hair troubles such as the itchy scalp, hair loss, dandruff, frizzy hair, split ends, etc. They are also used to provide hair styling hair cleansing and conditioning. Hair problems can occur due to reasons such as poor diet, modern life, stress, using artificial products, and exposure to pollutants which cause the dry or oily hair, dull hair, split ends, breakage, dandruff, lack of bounce, hair fall, and itching. The hair care may be preventive or curative.
The Japanese Hair professionals are also developing advanced tools such as thermo-scissors and hair robots which assist in cutting and applying the products to clients. Natural hair care is preferred by individuals irrespective of geographical location, gender, and age, hair care.
Market Research and Market Trends of Japan Professional Haircare Products Ecosystem
- Japanese brand Shu Uemura Art of Hair which focuses on product layering has taken the approach of “oil cleans oil” to a shampoo. The pioneering Cleansing Oil range removes impurities without weighing the hair down, suitable for every tress type. Hair water is a rinse that treats the scalp with rice protein and ingredients like castor oil for healthy growth. Another natural alternative to chemical-based shampoos is the Japanese seaweed cleanser and conditioner Funori by Wawaza which makes hair smooth yet voluminous, treats split ends and supplies nutrients to the scalp.
- The innovation is to translate the condition of hair into an audio signal. L’Oréal Japan has designed Soniphy Hair which is a technology that will allow stylists, to prove the effectiveness of a scalp-repairing treatment to their clients. The technology has combined robotics with hair care. Panasonic hair robot is a combination of 24 ‘fingers’ and hundreds of sensors which analyses the client’s scalp tissue softness and measures the scalp to decide how much pressure to use during a 3-minute wash, massage and condition. It can even comb through the hair.
- Another popular product that is launched is named Root Vanish by celebrity colorist Kazumi. The non-transferable color cover-up is a unique gel formula that effectively covers greys without leaving any residue and without drying the hair and scalp. It contains the oils and extracts such as Yuzu, Ginger Root, Persimmon Fruit, Japanese Black and Seaweed which are famous in Japan to hydrate and promote healthy hair. The thick brush-tip applicator that was inspired by the calligraphy brushes from Japan is a popular accessory.
- The 'magic straight perm' is a technique which provides the thermal reconditioning for unruly hair and eliminates the need to blow-dry the hair. The new system permanently restructures the bonds of the hair by using high temperatures in place of chemicals and leaves hair perfectly smooth, straight and glossy. It is resistant to humidity, chlorine and rain. The magic straight perm only needs to be done once a year, with just the roots topping up every 3 months or so not regularly like the Brazilian blow-dry.
- The heated scissors have evolved and are used to provide special amazing cuts. They have incorporated temperature control. The thermo-cut scissor system seals the hair by using heat during cutting. It promotes healthy hair growth and helps to cure split ends. Thermo razor are also available in market which are used for texturizing and personalizing hairstyles – short and long.
Who are the Major Players in Japan Professional Haircare Products market?
The players profiled in the report include Milbon Co. Ltd, L’Oreal Group, Shiseido Co. Ltd, Takara Belmont Corporation, Arimino Co. Ltd, Kao Corporation, P&G, Shiseido, Unilever.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.