Oilfield Surfactants Market is anticipated to hit $1.09 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 4.65%
North Americas held the largest market share in the Oilfield Market
North Americas region holds the largest market share and growth in the Oilfield Surfactants Market and is anticipated to reach $320.15 million by 2023 at a CAGR of 4.51%. However, Middle East and Africa will witness highest growth during the forecast period and is expected to reach $302.3 million by 2023 at a CAGR of 6.04%. North Americas Oilfield Market is mainly driven by the shale bloom in the U.S.A... Recent discovery of shale oilfields in this region has paved the way to meet this increase in demand. The key applications in this region are Acrylic, Biocides, wetting and suspending agents, corrosion inhibitors, Dispersants, Lubricants, among others.
Selected Value Chain Analysis done in the full report
- All the manufacturers in the market place have their own in-house facilities used to convert raw materials into end products. This forms the main reason why many of the manufacturers in the market place have their own units for production of oil-field surfactants.
- Value chain for oil-field surfactants has been established as an interdependent and complex network comprising of raw material providers, downstream processes, environmental agencies, distributors, end users and petroleum research institutes.
- Surfactants are basically forte oilfield chemicals bringing down the surface tension of liquid or solid. These surfactants are used as wetting agents, emulsifiers, foaming agents, detergents and Dispersants as per the different demands of industrial applications. For example, quaternary ammonium Biocides used in the oilfields are effective in killing bacteria.
- Offshore and onshore oil exploration are the lucrative ventures that are being invested upon by multi-national firms which uses good quality oilfield chemicals such as demulsifier, oil based demulsifier to ease various processes related to this field and make the rate of return of the investment more quicker. Oil field chemicals such as surfactants have proven to be instrumental in retrieving and processing better quality oil for market consumption.
- The competition is intensified with innovation and supply networks being the major focus areas and competitive strengths. Raw material prices still have a significant impact on the market dynamics, however, this scenario is set to change with the emergence of low cost and flexible manufacturing techniques. In most of the cases, end users and component producers work closely with manufacturers and play a vital role in market innovation.
- The anionic surfactants are the dominant type, accounting for 37% of the total share owing to the ability to withstand high temperature and pressure.
- Amphoteric surfactants are best used for corrosion inhibition and are used in enhanced oil recovery technology such as steam flooding.
- The demand for Oilfield Surfactants in the United States is projected to show moderate growth per year through 2021. The Middle East region, especially Saudi Arabia and UAE, has been the pioneer in the innovation, manufacturing and export of oilfield surfactants, thereby resulting in one of the world’s largest net exporter.
- Biocides market is anticipated to grow at fastest rate of 6.4% by 2021. Chemicals with both emulsification and wetting properties have been developed in recent years, leading to growing utilization of these dual application chemicals.
- Growing interest in bio-based oil surfactants is set to propel market growth of this niche category. Environmental concerns and decreasing oil prices might restrain oil production impacting market growth.
- The fastest growth rate till 2022 in the Oilfield Surfactants market is projected to come from the increasing consumption of oil. On a similar note, the increasing need for proper lubrication in the automotive industry is expected to benefit Oilfield Surfactants market over the next five years.
- Synthetic surfactant market revenue is anticipated to grow to $961.10 million by 2022 growing at a CAGR of 4.73%.
- The use of Oilfield surfactants at global level is expanding rapidly with growing manufacturing industries, especially the energy sector. There are a lot of renowned players in the market, which has fragmented the market and the competition is high in the market. This leads to the competitive pricing of the products which empowers the buyers.
- Stepan Company and BASF SE are amongst two of the major players of oilfield surfactants globally, holding more than 45% of the market share.
- Akzonobel N.V., a major Dutch company also holds the major share of oilfield surfactants market of around 13% along with many other small competitors like Sasol and Huntsman International Llc.
- BASF SE is one of the world leading suppliers of highly efficient oilfield surfactants supplying all over the globe. The company supplies various specialties of surfactants that are useful in almost every stage of oil and gas exploration and production.
- Other small companies, with respect to market share, when aggregated as a whole holds almost 40% of the market share.
- Although Clariant holds a market share of 7%, it is a major player in Switzerland and it’s a spinoff of Sandoz International GmbH.
- The highest number of patents was owned by Akzo Nobel N.V., covering around 32% of the total patents which will approximately be around 250 patents.
- Synthetic Lubricants Market: By Base Oil (PAO, Esters, Group III, PAG and Others); By Application (Engine Oils, Metalworking Fluids, Industrial Oils and Others); By Geography - Forecast(2018 - 2023)
- Oilfield Drilling Fluid Additives Market: Fluid Viscosifiers (Cellulosics, Others); Corrosion Inhibitors (Oxides, Others); Dispersants (Ionic, Non Ionic); Biocides (Glutaraldehyde, Others); By Defoamers; By Formulation (Water, Oil, Synthetic); By Geography - (2014-2020)