The global revenue generated by Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems in 2017 was $5.53billion, owing to growing need for automation in the supply chain industry, the market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 6.55% throughout the forecast period 2018-2023. Mini-load and Unit-load systems are the most preferred systems in the global Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems market contributing more than 50% in 2017 and are estimated to grow at a CAGR of 8.71% through the forecast period. APAC region emerged out to be the global market leader for Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems in 2017 and is estimated to remain the market leader throughout the forecast period.
What is Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems?
Automated storage and retrieval systems, often referred as AS/RS, are a type of warehouse technology wherein goods are automatically brought and placed back into storage. This is typically achieved by pairing the technology with warehouse execution software (WES) that manages the process and guides warehouse personnel process orders. AS/RS system has numerous advantages that help in making the warehouse or order fulfillment operations more efficient, and also it allows you to allocate personnel to higher-value tasks more smartly.
Types of AS/RS Technology:-
Automated storage and retrieval systems come in two main varieties, such as, Unit-Load AS/RS and Mini-Load AS/RS.
Unit-load automated storage and retrieval systems typically handle heavy loads of goods and material which include weights measuring in thousands of pounds. Unit-load AS/RS is a great option when pallet level storage is limited and quick retrieval is critical.
Unlike unit-load AS/RS, mini-load AS/RS typically handle smaller loads of products. Instead of full pallets, this often translates into a mini-load AS/RS handling totes, trays, or cartons. These systems are sometimes called case-handling systems.
These systems are well suited especially for operations that require storage locations for a large amount of Stock Keeping Units (SKUs) but which lack the floor space required for traditional carton-flow shelving to provide a pick face for each SKU. Mini-load AS/RS systems can also be used to buffer and efficiently release/sequence product to picking or palletizing stations, and can be used to automatically replenish pick locations like carton-flow.
What are the major applications for Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems?
Typical Industry applications include Chemicals, Pharmaceutical, Distribution Centers, Food and Beverage, Warehouses, Manufacturing, Fulfillment Centers, Semiconductors and Electronics, Aerospace, Life Sciences, E-Commerce, Automotive and many more.
Market Research and Market Trends of Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems Ecosystem
- Daifuku Co. Ltd, a Japanese based organization is one of the top players in this market. They have introduced a product called Clean Stocker which is for temporary storage in the semiconductor manufacturing industry. The shelf modules are expandable to match the required number of semiconductors to be stored. Consideration is also given to high transfer capacity, prevention of dust generation, and safety.
- Schafer Group has been successful in creating and updating their picking systems which are essential for efficient logistics chain and rapid order. Picking goods is one of the most cost effective and labor intensive processes for both warehouses and distribution centers. This enables you to process the orders quicker and more effectively. The types of picking systems include automated picking, Semi-automated picking and Manual picking. The system provides maximum productivity and an optimum material flow in the warehouse. It provides consistent quality, even during peak hours of activity.
- Honeywell Intelligrated Inc. have introduced Automated Storage and Retrieval Shuttle Systems which are used for higher volumes of products. The High Volume Buffer Shuttle (HVBS) system is an extensive, highly efficient case buffering system designed to keep shipping, receiving and other downstream processes running smoothly. The system uses multiple aisles in close proximity to enable high-density storage and serve operations with quick-turn inventories and high throughput requirements. The features include:-
a) Two or three aisles which perform independently for maximum throughput.
b) The system handles both cases and totes.
c ) It offers flexibility to process both inbound and outbound loads in a bi-directional system.
- Murata Machinery Ltd., has introduced a three-dimensional structure Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems that provides the reliable solution for pallet storage. In addition to an integrated construction, it is also possible to comfortably install a single three-dimensional rack unit in the existing facility. By integrating other transport equipment, it is possible to build an optimal storage and transportation system for efficient material handling. It is mainly used in Pharmaceutical purposes for efficient storage of poultices, replacement fluid, and other products, thereby raising the efficiency of the center. Also the diverse packaging material (flexible container, cardboard, etc.) can be kept in the same area. It provides for anti-rust and protection from insects. It can be installed in a variety of facilities including refrigeration systems, clean rooms and near hazardous items.
- Swisslog Holding, a Switzerland based organization has the expertise in automated storage in small load applications. Small load storage covers a wide variety of boxes, totes and containers. In order to keep costs low, miniload warehouse automation systems need to be highly flexible and scalable. It provides right automation solution for small loads warehouse depending on several factors:-
a) The shape, size and height of the warehouse.
b) Number of different products stored and retrieved in the warehouse.
c) Number of products stored and retrieved per week, day or hour.
Who are the Major Players in Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems market?
The companies referred to in the market research report include Daifuku Co. Ltd, SSI Schaefer Group, Siemens, Knapp AG, Bosch Rexroth, TGW Logistics Group GmbH, Swisslog Holding AG, Mecalux SA, Vanderlande Industries, Beumer Group, Dematic GmbH and more than 25 companies.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.