Superabsorbent Polymer (SAP) Market Overview:
Superabsorbent Polymers are materials that can retain large amount of water or aqueous solutions. The superabsorbent polymer market is fragmented with the top three players: BASF, Nippon Shokubai and Evonik Industries, catering to more than 50% of the market. From the demand side also the market is fragmented by Kimberly-Clark, P&G, SCA and Unicharm accounting for the consumption of 60% of the global market share. The global SAP market is estimated to be around $8 billion and is expected to grow at a good pace for the forecast period.
Superabsorbent Polymer (SAP) Market Outlook:
Superabsorbent polymers are high water and aqueous solution absorbing materials. Their major application are in hygiene products such as baby and adult diaper and in sanitary pads for women. They are also finding newer application in the agricultural and food Packaging sectors as well as water protection of cables and firefighting sectors. They can be manufactured from synthetic and natural polymers, as well as from bio-mass. Currently the globally preferred polymer material for SAP production is Polyacrylic acid (sodium Polyacrylate) due to its high performance to cost ratio. There are a lot of new entrants in the market, catering to the need for environmentally friendly substitutes for the conventional SAP materials used.
Superabsorbent Polymer Market Growth drivers:
Major growth drivers for this market are the emerging economies and the rising population globally. The major application of superabsorbent polymers is in the Hygiene and Care Industry, in diapers and sanitary napkins and pads. Emerging economies in South East Asia and that of china, as well as other parts of the world are driving the demand for SAP products.
The application of Superabsorbent Polymers in water retention and slow release for the purpose of agricultural activities, especially for desert areas and in drought repeating areas has also been a boost to the market from the demand side. Apart from these there are other application as well which have come forth with a minor share in the total sales of SAP products.
Superabsorbent Polymer (SAP) Market Challenges:
Due to the performance to cost ratio poly (acrylic) acid is the globally used base chemical for the production of superabsorbent Polymers, as compared to other synthetic (polyvinyl alcohol, poly acrylamide) and natural (polysaccharides, polypeptides) options. The disadvantage of using poly (acrylic) acid is that it is derived from propylene which is a derivative of crude oil. The rising fuel prices have put pressure on the Sap market by raising raw material costs as well as transportation costs.
Superabsorbent Polymer (SAP) Market Research Scope:
The base year of the study is 2017, with forecast done up to 2023. The study presents a thorough analysis of the competitive landscape, taking into account the market shares of the leading companies. It also provides information on unit shipments. These provide the key market participants with the necessary business intelligence and help them understand the future of the Superabsorbent Market. The assessment includes the forecast, an overview of the competitive structure, the market shares of the competitors, as well as the market trends, market demands, market drivers, market challenges, and product analysis. The market drivers and restraints have been assessed to fathom their impact over the forecast period. This report further identifies the key opportunities for growth while also detailing the key challenges and possible threats. The key areas of focus include the types of plastics in the electric vehicle market, and their specific applications in different types of vehicles.
Superabsorbent Polymer (SAP) Market Report: Industry Coverage
Superabsorbent Polymer Market– By Type: Synthetic (Petrochemical based): Sodium Polyacrylate, Potassium Polyacrylate, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Polyacrylamide and others; Natural: Polysaccharide based, Polypeptide based and others; Bio-mass Based and others.
Superabsorbent Polymer Market– By Grade: Agricultural grade, Industrial Grade and Hygiene Grade.
Superabsorbent Polymer Market– By Production Technology: Inverse suspension Polymerization and Continuous Gel Polymerization.
Superabsorbent Polymer Market– By Application: Baby Diapers, Adult diapers, Sanitary Pads, Pet Pads, Medical materials, Soil water Management, Cable protection, Food Packaging, Fire Prevention and Protection, Flood Relief, Thickening agent and others.
Superabsorbent Polymer Market – By End User Industry: Hygiene and Healthcare Industry, Agriculture & Horticulture Industry, Packaging Industry, Food Industry, Cables and Wires Industry, Construction Industries, Manufacturing Industries and others.
The Superabsorbent Market report also analyzes the major geographic regions for the market as well as the major countries for the market in these regions. The regions and countries covered in the study include:
- North America: The U.S., Canada, Mexico
- South America: Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica
- Europe: The U.K., Germany, Italy, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark
- APAC: China, Japan, Australia, South Korea, India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong
- Middle East and Africa: Israel, South Africa, Saudi Arabia
Superabsorbent Polymer (SAP) Market Key Players Perspective:
Some of the Key players in this market that have been studied for this report include: BASF, Nippon Shokubai, Evonik Industries, Sanyo chemicals, SOCO Chemicals, Songwon, China-Danson, Kao Corporation, Hosokawa micron B.V., Emerging Technologies and many more.
Market Research and Market Trends of Superabsorbent Polymer (SAP) Market
- One of the major trends seen in the market is the sprouting of startups in various countries and regions to tackle the problem of solid waste pollution. Polyacrylate is not biodegradable and the use of it majorly in SAP to manufacture diapers, sanitary pads and other disposable items adds to the global pollution levels. Many startups have come up with their own novel solutions in catering to the SAP market by producing bio-degradable SAP products that can be used as diapers and sanitary pads and in agricultural sectors thus tackling the pollution problem.
- Another trend that is seen in the industry is the R&D being done towards moving away from the dependency on crude oil onto bio-mass as a source of raw material for the production of high performance superabsorbent polymers. There are startups in this field as well as steps being taken by BASF, one of the top three producers of SAP materials globally, thus marking a trend in the market.
- The application of SAP in water retention and slow release for agricultural purposes is also a major booster for the market. With Nippon Shukobai aiming to push forward this application for desert prevention, and new entrants trying to cater to this market.