Superabsorbent polymers (SAPs) are water absorbing polymers utilized in various operations of industries such as agriculture, disposable hygiene industry horticulture, pharmaceutical industry, and others. SAPs being a bio-product are revolutionary solutions to growing chemical usage globally. The major demand for the global SAP market is exerted by the diaper and sanitary napkins industries as it can absorb a large amount of aqueous, water, and menstrual fluid. The global superabsorbent polymers market valued at $7 billion as of 2018 and the market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.8% during the forecast period of 2019-2025. Hydrogel has paved its way into the food packaging industry and used for wastewater treatment. Growing population and industrial advances have regulated high opportunity for the SAP market to grow steadily.
One of the primary usage of SAP materials is in the industrial field as the sodium salt of polyacrylic acid, also known as sodium polyacrylate owing to its moisture locking property and resistance to any water loss due to squeezing. Due to its unique water retention capacity, SAPs are helpful in lowering water usage for irrigation purposes. SAPs based diapers are recognized as safe in contact with body by researchers and doctors all across the globe. Europe recorded manufacturing of around 33 billion diapers and nappies annually, resulting in a huge demand for the raw materials (SAP). As per the aforementioned report, Europe generated 60% of the global revenue in the superabsorbent polymers market in 2018.
Rising health awareness in regards to usage of sanitary pads and baby diapers have a major influence on the global SAP market. Moreover, SAPs are used in the agriculture sector as soil conditioners due to its water absorption capacity of upto 1,000 times more than its size. Additionally, growing trend of responsiveness towards rising environmental degradation and pollution has induced the consumers and industries for eco-friendly bio-products consumption creating a huge opportunity for the global SAP market to grow steadily.
SAPs are known for its water absorption property, in contact with ions, this property reduces. This gradually hinders the use of agricultural SAP owing to high ion content in the soil due to the presence of fertilizers and irrigation technique. Moreover, continuous hike in fuel prices and its non-renewability poses a serious hindrance to the SAP market.
The global superabsorbent polymers market leaders include BASF, Nippon Shokubai Co. Ltd., Formosa Plastics Corporation, LG Chemical, Sumitomo Seika Chemicals Co. Ltd., SDP Global Ltd., Songwon Industrial Co. Ltd., KAO Corporation, Evonik Industries AG, Yixing Danson, and others.
Nippon Shokubai Co. Ltd. is a Japanese chemical manufacturing company utilizing innovative technologies to produce SAP from ethylene oxide and acrylic acid. The novel products will have application in disposable hygiene products, automobiles, synthetic detergents, and many more.
SAPs mixed in the concrete mixtures provide a base for repairing cracks and fissures in concrete walls and buildings. The self-sealing effect is achieved due to the water absorption property of the SAPs. Upon contact with water or any other fluids, these hydrogels soak water and swell up resulting in crack blockage in the concrete. This technique offers a temporary solution for buildings and houses.
Application of SAPs in laboratory purposes solve many common challenges in the medical field. Recently, Xing Xie of Georgia Institute of Technology in the U.S. is experimenting on the discovery of SAP beads to absorb DNA and virus leaving behind the bacteria and other cells. This enables the transfer of samples from the one place to the other without hampering the shelf life of it.
The base year of the study is 2018, with forecast done up to 2025. The study presents a thorough analysis of the competitive landscape, taking into account the market shares of the leading companies. It also provides information on unit shipments. These provide the key market participants with the necessary business intelligence and help them understand the future of the Superabsorbent Polymers Market. The assessment includes the forecast, an overview of the competitive structure, the market shares of the competitors, as well as the market trends, market demands, market drivers, market challenges, and product analysis. The market drivers and restraints have been assessed to fathom their impact over the forecast period. This report further identifies the key opportunities for growth while also detailing the key challenges and possible threats. The key areas of focus include the types of SAP, and their specific applications in different areas.
The Superabsorbent Polymers Market report also analyzes the major geographic regions for the market as well as the major countries for the market in these regions. The regions and countries covered in the study include:
• North America: The U.S., Canada, Mexico
• South America: Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica
• Europe: The U.K., Germany, Italy, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark
• APAC: China, Japan, Australia, South Korea, India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong
• Middle East and Africa: Israel, South Africa, Saudi Arabia
1. Is the market for Superabsorbent Polymers growing? How long will it continue to grow and at what rate?
2. Which type of segment presents the major growth opportunities?
3. Is there a possibility for change in the market structure over time?
4. Are additional developments needed for the existing product or services offerings or do the existing products meet the customer demands?
5. Do the key vendors look for partnerships to expand their businesses with respect to geography or product?
6. What are the short-term, long-term, and medium-term growth drivers for the market?
7. What are the short-term, medium-term, and long-term challenges for the market?
8. What are the short-term, medium-term, and long-term opportunities for the market?
9. Who are the top players/companies of the market?
10. What are the recent innovations in the market?
11. How many patents have been filed by the leading players?
12. What are the types of patents filed by the leading players?
13. What is our Vision 2030 Superabsorbent Polymers market?
• Give a deep-dive analysis of the key operational strategies with focus on the corporate structure, R&D strategies, localization strategies, production capabilities, and sales performance of various companies
• Provide an overview of the product portfolio, including product planning, development, and positioning
• Discuss the role of technology companies in partnerships
• Explore the regional sales activities
• Analyze the market size and giving the forecast for current and future Superabsorbent Polymers market during the forecast 2019–2025
• Analyze the competitive factors, competitors’ market shares, product capabilities, and supply chain structures.