Biopolymers Market Overview:
Biopolymers are polymeric biomolecules with monomeric units which are covalently bonded together to form larger structures. Extended usage of bio-polymers is expected to diminish the dependence on petroleum derivatives in the coming years. In terms of production, Asia-Pacific especially china holds the largest market in the biopolymers due to the demand in many end-user industries like pharmaceutical and packaging industry. This is followed by Europe and North America. If we sort the regions in terms of consumption of biopolymers, Europe is in the top of the list owing to the demand of biopolymers in various applications like packaging and bio-medical industry. Europe is followed by the APAC region and North America in terms of consumption in the global Biopolymers Market.
Biopolymers Market Outlook:
Biopolymers are available in different types like Polylactic acid (PLA) which has applications in 3D printing, injection molding, film & sheet casting etc., Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) which is used in hotfilling, medical applications etc., Polybutylene succinate (PBS) which has uses in plastics, packaging like films, bags; fertilizers etc., Polytrimethylene terephthalate (PTT) which is used in apparel, upholstery, specialty resins etc., Polyethylene terephthalate (Bio-PET) has uses in 3D printing, substrate in solar cells, packaging trays, liner material in high pressure gas cylinders etc., Cellulose based polymers which are used in mostly packaging applications, Starch based polymers which are mostly used in agriculture and bio-medical industries and many other types of biopolymers.
Biopolymers Market report comprises of pricing analysis for different strengths of Biopolymers used. The price of one kilogram of Biopolymers is expected to range from $4 to $1700 by 2022.
Biopolymers Market Growth Drivers: The main driver in the global Biopolymers Market is biopolymers being environment friendly and bio degradable compared to the other alternatives in the global market. Governments from different countries are conducting campaigns and formulating many regulations for the use of eco-friendly products in many end-user industries. This has raised an interest for the usage of eco-friendly and sustainable polymers. This will boost the global market growth for biopolymers owing to their many properties like bio degradability, renewability and many others.
Biopolymers Market Challenges: High production costs of biopolymers is one of the main challenges in the global Biopolymers Market. These high production costs will affect the final prices of the biopolymers. The price of the biopolymers is much greater than the conventional petroleum based polymers. The cost of of Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) sold by the Sigma-Aldrich is whopping $2577 per kilogram. Industries should invest more on research and development projects for finding cheaper methods of production of biopolymers.
Biopolymers Market Research Scope:
The base year of the study is 2017, with forecast done up to 2023. The study presents a thorough analysis of the competitive landscape, taking into account the market shares of the leading companies. It also provides information on unit shipments. These provide the key market participants with the necessary business intelligence and help them understand the future of the Biopolymers market. The assessment includes the forecast, an overview of the competitive structure, the market shares of the competitors, as well as the market trends, market demands, market drivers, market challenges, and product analysis. The market drivers and restraints have been assessed to fathom their impact over the forecast period. This report further identifies the key opportunities for growth while also detailing the key challenges and possible threats. The key areas of focus include the types of Biopolymers market and their specific applications in different types of vehicles.
Biopolymers Market Report: Industry Coverage
Types of Biopolymers: Bio-based Polyesters (Polylactic acid (PLA), Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB), Polybutylene succinate (PBS), Polybutylene succinate adipate (PBSA), Polytrimethylene terephthalate (PTT), Polyethylene terephthalate (Bio -PET)), Bio-based polyolefins (Polyethylene (Bio -PE), Bio-based polyamides (Bio-PA), Homopolyamides, Bio -PA 6, Bio -PA 11, Copolyamides, Bio -PA 4.10 – Bio -PA 5.10 – Bio -PA 6.10, Bio -PA 10.10), Polyurethanes (Polysaccharide polymers, Cellulose -based polymers, Regenerated cellulose, Cellulose diacetate, Starch -based polymers, Thermoplastic starch (TPS), Starch blends).
Applications of Biopolymers: Biopolymers are used in various applications like Packaging, Bottles, Fibers, Paper & Cardboard Coatings, Agricultural Seed Coatings, Automotive Interiors & Exteriors, Medical Implants, Circuit Boards, Insulators, Laminates, 3D printing, fertilizers, apparel, solar cells, upholstery and many others.
End-Users of Biopolymers: The end-user industries in biopolymers market are Food & Beverage Industry are Packaging Industry, Bio-Medical Industry, Agriculture & Horticulture Industry, Electrical &, Electronics Industry, Automotive Industry, Textile Industry, Consumer Goods, Pharmaceutical Industry, Aerospace Industry, Construction Industry, Others.
The Biopolymers market report also analyzes the major geographic regions for the market as well as the major countries for the market in these regions. The regions and countries covered in the study include:
- North America: The U.S., Canada, Mexico
- South America: Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica
- Europe: The U.K., Germany, Italy, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark
- APAC: China, Japan, Australia, South Korea, India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong
- The Middle East and Africa: Israel, South Africa, Saudi Arabia
Biopolymers Market Key Players Perspective:
Some of the other key players mentioned in this report are BASF SE, NatureWorks LLC, Danimer Scientific, Novamont SpA, Galatea Bio Tech, Sigma-Aldrich, Biome Technologies Ltd., Rodenburg Biopolymers, Indorama Ventures Public Co Ltd., Tianjin Green Bio Materials Co Ltd., Metabolix Inc., Braskem SA, Total Corbion, and Plantic Technologies Ltd., among others.
Biopolymers Market Trends:
- BASF SE has produced a water-soluble polymer named ‘Sokalan HP 96’ in detergents which helps in removing stains while dispersed soil redeposits on the fabrics. BASF has also dedicated solution for washing powders by producing a biopolymer named Tinocat LT B249 which will boost the bleach performance at temperatures as low like 20 °C by facilitating high-performance formulations for excellent white laundry.
- BASF SE has also developed a new bio-based polymer named ‘Polyquart Ecoclean Max’ which is useful in surface cleaners which has properties like spotless and streak-free drying, long lasting shine and having an easy-to-clean-again effect on a variety of surfaces. This will help the consumers who are in the need of an easy to use product for cleaning hard surfaces.
- A new research has been done in the Manipal Institute of Technology, India, in the month of October 2018, on using the crosslinking biopolymers for advanced drug delivery and tissue engineering applications. Owing to the various favorable properties in biopolymers like cyto compatibility, non-toxic degradation etc.; biopolymers can be tuned for making suitable drug delivery matrices and tissue engineering constructs (TEC). This research will help in producing many new opportunities the global biopolymers in the upcoming years.
The report analyses the market demand with respect to various regions. Competitive landscape for top five biopolymers market is highlighted and market players are profiled with attributes of company overview, financial overview, product portfolio and recent developments.