The global Gallium Nitride (GaN) substrate Market is estimated to surpass $5.18 billion mark by 2023 growing at an estimated CAGR of more than 8.95% during 2018 to 2023. The market is majorly driven by two important characteristics i.e. higher switching capacity and high temperature tolerance. In addition, wide band gap substrates are emerging as the suitable replacement for the conventional substrates because of its capability to enable small devices with higher performance efficiency. The wide band gap substrate not only improves the performance but also saves energy and cut down the losses.
What is Gallium Nitride and Gallium Nitride Substrates?
GaN is wide band gap material or banding material which possesses remarkable advantages over other semiconductor material such as Silicon, Silicon Carbide, Aluminum and others. The nitride devices such as light emitters, transistors, diodes are largely dependent on the hetero-epitaxial growth of GaN on foreign substrates such as Silicon, Silicon Carbide and Sapphire. The large part of GaN substrate market comprises of substrates and is moving towards adopting bulk GaN substrates.
The basic design of bulk substrates is nearly similar to templates. The only difference is that GaN on GaN substrate have homo-substrate as the base whereas the templates have the GaN film over the foreign substrates. The GaN on Sapphire, GaN on SiC, GaN on Si holds the disadvantages of weaker performance because of certain factors such as structural defects to due to mismatch of lattice and thermal expansion coefficient and chemical incompatibility.
This report incorporates an in-depth assessment of GaN substrate market by size, type, products, end user industries and geography. The major types of GaN elements encompassed in the scope includes GaN on Sapphire, GaN on SiC, GaN on Si, and GaN on GaN
What are the major applications for Gallium Nitride Substrates?
The various end users assessed includes automotive, healthcare, general lighting, consumer electronics, military communication and optical storage and among others. LED, Laser and power electronic devices, and radio frequency are the major end users of GaN substrate and holds the tremendous opportunity in future. From 2014 onwards, more than 120 Millions of GaN LED were sold every year. This number was majorly driven by the lighting segment and is expected to dominate the market from short to long term. The GaN devices such as lasers are employed in healthcare industry for surgeries and treatments. The different types of treatment associated with healthcare are skin, dental, eye, cosmetic among others are performed with the help of lasers. In the automotive industry, GaN LED’s are employed into head lamps, welding systems, electric vehicle motor drive, and braking system. In addition, from near to medium term, adaptive lighting in automotive will witness significant traction because of its multiple functionality such as safety and creative interior lighting.
Market Research and Market Trends of Gallium Nitride Substrate Ecosystem
- Advancements in wafer production processes is the biggest opportunity that the major players in the industry are looking for to reduce the cost of GaN based electronics. SILTECTRA GmbH, has recently developed a laser based technology named as the “Cold Split” for reducing the wafer thickness to 100 microns within a very short duration and zero material wastage. This is expected to drive the adoption of GaN substrates. In addition, R&D related to cost reduction will thereby increase the flamboyancy in the market ecosystem towards achievement of low cost GaN devices.
- Large scale manufacturing capability for micro LEDs by employing GaN on Silicon is developed by Plessey Semiconductors and is set to avail prominent potential in AR/VR headsets, smart glassed, HUDs and so on. The significant increase in demand for high definition small displays across consumer electronics, automotive and industrial sector is poised to be assisted by the availability of such advanced process of manufacturing monolithic micro LED displays
- The recent acquisition of Infineon’s RF Power division by CREE, Inc. to strengthen its position in power electronics and to target 4G and the upcoming 5G markets. The telecommunication market is estimated to increase the deployment of the RF devices in upcoming years
- IQE plc, an epiwafer foundry and substrate manufacturer has set in motion the acquisition plan of Rare Earth Oxide (cREO) technology and IP portfolio from Translucent Inc., for $5m. cREO technology features an advanced approach for manufacturing a wide spectrum of semiconductor compound on silicon products including GaN-on-Si for power switching and RF electronics.
- Recently, researchers from MIT developed a switch that can handle high voltage up to 1,200V using vertical FinFET GaN transistor design. This design can escalate the voltage handling capacity or breakdown voltage from 3,000 to 5,000V. With this the potential opportunities in markets such as smart grids, advanced energy storage and electric vehicle charging, Low cost LIDAR sensing, wireless charging (Battery Charging Pad) applications can be uncovered with promising outcomes
- Researchers have developed advanced gallium nitride (GaN)-on-silicon transistor technology optimizing the composition of the semiconductor layers with a high electron mobility transistor (HEMT) structure on a 200 mm silicon substrate with a process that will scale to larger industry-standard wafer sizes.
Who are the Major Players in Gallium Nitride Substrates Market
The companies referred in the market research report includes Cree Inc., Kyocera Corporation, MonoCrystal, Sumco Corp, Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd, Hitachi Metals Ltd, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation and more than 10 other companies.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.