The global optical amplifier Market is estimated to surpass $935.23 mark by 2023 growing at an estimated CAGR of more than 6.7% during the forecast period 2018 to 2023. Fiber amplifiers hold the highest market share of 51% and estimated to grow at a CAGR of 7.8%. By region America hold the highest market share of 34%. The global optical amplifiers market has increased due to the rapid growth of data centers, improved signal quality in transmission without any data loss among many other factors are demanding the growth of the market across wide range of industries in near future.
What are OPTICAL AMPLIFIERS?
A device which receives some input signal and generates an output signal with higher optical power is known as an optical amplifier. Input and output signals are laser beams generally, that are propagating as Gaussian beams in free space or in a fiber. The amplification process takes place in a gain medium, gets “pumped” (i.e., provided with energy) from an external source. The optical amplifiers are either optically or electrically pumped.
Most optical amplifiers are laser amplifiers, where the amplification is based on stimulated emission. The gain medium contains some atoms, ions or molecules in an excited state, which are energized by using the signal light to produce more light into the same radiation modes. Such gain media are either insulator doped with some laser-active ions, or semiconductors which can be electrically or optically pumped. Insulators which are used in doped form for laser amplification include laser crystals and glasses used in bulk form, waveguides, and optical fibers. The laser-active ions are usually either rare earth ions or (less frequently) transition-metal ions. The most popular type of optical laser amplifier is the erbium-doped fiber amplifier, which is most frequently used for optical fiber communications.
What are the major applications for Optical Amplifiers?
Fiber amplifiers were initially designed to achieve amplification in optical fiber communications over large distances, where signals need to be periodically amplified. Erbium-doped fiber amplifiers with signals of moderate optical power in the 1.5-μm spectral regions were used for this purpose. Different wavelength channels are simultaneously amplified in a single fiber amplifier by using wavelength-division multiplexing WDM. Other application areas of fiber amplifiers developed subsequently. In particular, high-power fiber amplifiers have been developed which can produce output powers of hundreds of watts or even many kilowatts. Such amplifiers are being widely employed for use in laser material processing, replacing solid-state bulk lasers and CO2 lasers, for example. Typically, they are based on ytterbium-doped double-clad fibers for signals in the spectral region of 1.03–1.1 μm.
The installation of optical amplifiers is sometimes accompanied with directional couplers and isolators to improve the endurance to noise and enhance efficiency of the optical system in whole. It finds application in fields of space communication as well. The end user industries such as telecommunication, banks and finance forums, hospital networks, airports, some mechanical industries also use them in their data maintenance systems to improve the quality and speed of data transfer other than the stereotype data centers where it has become vital to incorporate them. Network providers also use optical amplifiers to maintain their internal data systems as well as to provide high speed data services to users.
Market Research and Market Trends of optical amplifiers Ecosystem
- Usually optical networking data transport is implemented with the help of two optical fibers utilizing each for transmission of the signal and the other for receiving the signal. Single fiber solutions save half of the fiber resources needed for DWDM transport. This has a large economic impact on carriers, dark fiber providers and enterprises. It reduces the expenses for renting fiber; taxes applied on lighting fiber or even cater as an effective solution for scarce fiber resources.
- Wavelength Division Multiplex (WDM) architectures and techniques have transmission limits, which has fuelled the research by networking companies for developing Space Division Multiplexing (SDM) components wherein multimode or multicore optical fibers support multiple spatial modes to increase transmission capacity for each optical fiber deployed. The cladding-pumped EDFA is comprised of six erbium-doped multimode cores that can each support three spatial modes, enabling amplification of 18 spatial channels simultaneously using just one pump laser diode (similar to the complexity of just one single-mode EDFA).
- The researchers have also started developing the refined profile design for depressed-cladding by increasing the number of cores to further enhance pumping efficiency of the amplifier. The scalable EDFA can be used while operating in different mode counts. The technological benefits of scalable EDFA are very attractive hence many companies have started to shift towards this technique of amplification.
- With the growing demand of high speed and sophisticated data services the network providers are forced to inculcate optical fiber links thus the complementary industry optical fiber mediums is also prospering and it is expected that the demand will still further rise at a high pace with the ongoing data revolution.
- The innovations in multiplexing techniques such as SDM and MDM are continuously being worked on along with introduction of new fiber materials for efficient TX/RX of optical signals. Photonic crystal fiber and hole-assisted fiber crystal are being used to improve power efficiencies of optical systems. Techniques that offer spectral savings primarily the elastic optical path network are also being developed for exploiting spectral resources that are not fully utilized.
Who are the Major Players in OPTICAL AMPLIFIERS market?
The players profiled in the report include Avago technologies Ltd, Finisar corp, Furukawa co. Ltd, NEC Corporation, Source Photonics, Newport Corporation, APE Angewandte Physik und Elektronik GmbH
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.