The global silicon photonics market is expected to account for sales of over $737 million by 2023 growing at a CAGR of 35% during 2018-2023. The silicon photonics finds its major application area to be in the telecommunications with over 69% market share in terms of revenue in 2017. Consumer electronic devices particularly which require technologies that facilitate faster data transfer and processing and this is expected to drive the growth of the market. The North American region dominated the global silicon photonics market in 2017 owing to the huge requirement of advanced data solutions and communication equipment.
What is Silicon Photonics?
The silicon photonics is a combination of the silicon integrated circuit and the semiconductor laser. This aids in faster data transfer over longer distances compared to traditional electronics by utilizing the efficiencies in high-volume silicon manufacturing. Silicon photonics market involves the production of photonic systems which have silicon as the optical medium. Waveguides, modulators, switches, photo detectors, lasers, couplers and links are the building blocks of the silicon photonic systems.
High performance computing is still not commercialized to a greater extent and will have a huge opportunity during the forecast period. Telecommunications however will be the backbone on which the global silicon photonics market is expected to thrive. The silicon photonics would enable the bandwidth of datacenters to increase the factor speed from 100G currently in 2017 to above 400G in the future.
Market Research and Market Trends of Silicon Photonics Ecosystem
- Rising demand for the decreased form factors, increasing efficiency and speed of data transfer is a major factor driving the demand of the silicon photonics market. The products ability and efficiency to provide faster data communication would further drive the market during the forecast period.
- Silicon Photonics is revolutionizing the optics market. This is given its ability to address issues such as noise, energy consumption while offering high bandwidth. In addition, the silicon photonics has the ability to use the CMOS like fabrication. This results in achieving economies of scale at a very low cost. This is enabling the industries such as telecommunications to switch to silicon photonics from traditional photonic elements.
- One major restriction for growth of the market is the high reflective index that silicon photonics are associated with not allowing the fabrication of smaller devices. In addition to this thermal effect issue also has to be addressed for the market to gain more traction. Many companies and academia are investing heavily to demonstrate multiple solution to overcome the aforementioned problems. A positive solution to this would is anticipated to be commercialized during the forecast period with many of these institutions demonstrating successful outcomes.
- MIR silicon or group-IV photonics has been attracting attention lately as Si and Ge are transparent up to approximately 8 and 15 μm, respectively, and offer a range of applications in biochemical and environmental sensing, medicine, astronomy and communications.
- With the increasing technological advancements during the forecast period, it is expected that the silicon photonics would be used for long range communication. The field of health care would be built on the silicon photonics based operations in order to enhance diagnosis, monitoring and treatments. These developments would be aided with the increasing use of automation and artificial intelligence in the healthcare industry.
Who are the Major Players in Silicon Photonics market?
The companies referred to in the market research report include Aurrion, Bell Labs, Oracle Labs, Lightwire, Fujitsu, Huawei, Compass-EOS, Chiral Photonics, IBM Corp, Translucent Inc, DAS Photonics, Effect Photonics, SUSS MicroTec, Oclaro, OneChip Photonics, Intel, , Cisco, IHP Microelectronics, Sandia, Mellanox Technologies. Over 25 companies have been profiles in the report.
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2023.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&As, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.