LSZH cables stand for Low Smoke Zero Halogen cables. Low smoke zero halogen describes a cable jacket material that is non-halogenated and flame retardant. This type of jacket material has excellent safety characteristics of low smoke, low toxicity and low corrosion. Globally, increase in adoption and usage of LSZH cable for newer applications and rise in awareness regarding human safety are the prime growth drivers of LSZH cable market. In addition, growing application industries in emerging economies such as China, India and others, will create new opportunities for LSZH cable market in the near future. However, increasing stringency of governing regulations and norms in regards to LSZH cables is the key restraint for LSZH cable market
This report identifies the global LSZH cable market size for the years 2016-2018, and forecast of the same for year 2023. It also highlights the potential growth opportunities in the coming years, while also reviewing the market drivers, restraints, growth indicators, challenges, market dynamics, competitive landscape, and other key aspects with respect to global LSZH cable market.
What are LSZH Cables?
LSZH cable refers to cables in which the cable jacketing and insulation is made with materials that produce low/limited smoke and non-toxic halogens when exposed to fire or high temperatures. The jacketed material covered cables are applied in places such as Central Offices, Mass Transit Rail Systems, Nuclear Plants and Oil Refineries or in any other application where the protection of people and equipment from toxic and corrosive gases is critical. Low Smoke Zero Halogen cables are ideal for areas of low ventilation.
The fire in its initial stages is dangerous not only due to flame but the smoke and noxious gases produced by it pose an equivalent threat. They are responsible for higher number of the casualties and may also obscure the way to escape routes and exits. It has been found in tests that burning PVC reduces visibility in the surrounding area by as much as 50% within 10 minutes. After 30 minutes, visibility can be reduced by as 90% making it unnecessarily challenging to escape the area. Thus in order to overcome the risk factor in sophisticated devices, systems and buildings implication of LSZH cables has become nearly mandatory.
What are the major applications for LSZH Cable?
LSZH cable jackets are becoming increasingly popular in applications where people are in close proximity to cable assemblies and cannot easily get ventilation in the event of a fire, such as military, aerospace, railroad and maritime applications. Cost effective LSZH jackets are typically used, and sometimes required, in poorly ventilated areas such as public underground, onboard aircraft, military vehicles, submarines and ships. They are also used extensively in railway and subway stations and systems wherever high voltage or track signal wires are run through underground tunnels. This reduces the chance of toxic gasses accumulating in these areas if the cables caught on fire. Further they are implied in cars, buses and bus stations and in other mass transit facilities such as mono rail. In crowded buildings and places such as public entertainment auditoriums and sports facilities apartment buildings, hotels, hospitals, computer/data centers, airports, etc. they are being extensively used.
LSZH insulation and jacketing can be used to manufacture
- Instrumentation cables
- Transportation cables
- Control cables
- Power and data cables
- Audio cables
- Video and broadcast cables
Market Research and Market Trends of LSZH Cable Ecosystem
- In industrial and building wire markets, wire and cable products such as Type THHN/THWN-2,XHHW-2, RHH/RHW-2 and USE-2 are generally insulated with jacketed materials having specific physical/chemical properties, with the most common being Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), Cross-linked Polyethylene (XLPE), or Ethylene Propylene Rubber(EPR). These materials are engineered to meet industry standards and are evaluated on the basis of properties such as, including dry and wet electrical performance, flexibility, long life, performance under fire conditions, cold temperature resistance, chemical resistance, and physical toughness, etc. In order to encourage this trend, industry testing standards have been introduced, which include a comparative measure of a cable’s smoke and halogen content.
- Progresses in compounding technology have allowed manufacturers to create thermoset LSZH cables that qualify many of these tests as chlorinated thermosets, such as the IEEE 1202 and UL VW-1 flame tests.
- There has been the problem of LSZH cables to pass water absorption tests required in many cable standards. LSZH material absorbs a greater amount of moisture than non-LSZH material. The physical and electrical characteristics of wire and cable are affected by moisture absorption. To overcome this problem, manufacturers are continuously investing on research for new compounds and adopt advance processing techniques.
- Some studies have shown that halogenated compounds require less overall processing energy. Even if there were processing advantages, the added performance you get from halogenated compounds could potentially outweigh them. Getting a precise measure of the total lifetime environmental impact is difficult. Regulations such as the European Union’s WEEE (which make producers responsible for recycling any electrical products they put on the market) have become more common in recent years.
Who are the Major Players in LSZH Cable market?
The companies profiled in the report include Prysmian Group, General Cable Technologies Corporation, Nexans, LS Cable Group, Yuandong Group, Wanda Group, Wuxi Jiangnan Cable, Baosheng Group
What is our report scope?
The report incorporates in-depth assessment of the competitive landscape, product market sizing, product benchmarking, market trends, product developments, financial analysis, strategic analysis and so on to gauge the impact forces and potential opportunities of the market. Apart from this the report also includes a study of major developments in the market such as product launches, agreements, acquisitions, collaborations, mergers and so on to comprehend the prevailing market dynamics at present and its impact during the forecast period 2018-2024.
All our reports are customizable to your company needs to a certain extent, we do provide 20 free consulting hours along with purchase of each report, and this will allow you to request any additional data to customize the report to your needs.
Key Takeaways from this Report
- Evaluate market potential through analyzing growth rates (CAGR %), Volume (Units) and Value ($M) data given at country level – for product types, end use applications and by different industry verticals.
- Understand the different dynamics influencing the market – key driving factors, challenges and hidden opportunities.
- Get in-depth insights on your competitor performance – market shares, strategies, financial benchmarking, product benchmarking, SWOT and more.
- Analyze the sales and distribution channels across key geographies to improve top-line revenues.
- Understand the industry supply chain with a deep-dive on the value augmentation at each step, in order to optimize value and bring efficiencies in your processes.
- Get a quick outlook on the market entropy – M&A’s, deals, partnerships, product launches of all key players for the past 4 years.
- Evaluate the supply-demand gaps, import-export statistics and regulatory landscape for more than top 20 countries globally for the market.